Extreme Certifications – OCP Release Jumping with 1Z0-034 and 1Z0-067
By Brandye Barrington on Sep 11, 2014
|9i OCA||1Z0-052, 1Z0-053||1Z0-062, 1Z0-063|
|10g OCA||1Z0-043, 1Z0-050||1Z0-043, 1Z0-060|
|11g OCA||N/A||1Z0-053, 1Z0-060|
- Cost – A single exam means only one exam fee. In addition, if you normally purchase preparation materials, you will only be doing so for a single exam.
- Time – While both 1Z0-034 and 1Z0-067 contain more topics than either of the individual exams in the legacy upgrade paths, the fact that you can focus on a single exam has the potential to reduce the time spent preparing.
- Focus –The 1Z0-034 exam includes only topics relevant to the 11g release of Oracle and 1Z0-067 includes only topics relevant to the 12c version of the database. 10g OCAs upgrading to a later release will normally take 1Z0-043 and 11g OCAs upgrading to 12c will normally take 1Z0-053. If their goal is to be the best 11g/12c OCP possible, taking a test that focuses on that release is the better solution.
- Size – Both of these exams are considerably larger than either of the single exams of the conventional upgrade path. Exam candidates must be prepared to invest more time than they normally would for a single exam. If you typically allocate six weeks to prepare for a single exam, then you should plan to invest at least nine to ten weeks for these. Candidates that try to get by with their standard prep time are likely to find themselves in deep trouble on test day.
- Return – The 10g and 11g legacy paths in the grid above result in candidates holding OCP designations in two releases of Oracle, 10g/11g plus the target release. The 034/067 exams will result in only a single OCP credential. Candidates will remain an OCA in the older release.
- Difficulty – Having looked at the material covered by these exams, I can state with confidence that they will be more difficult than either of the individual exams of the legacy upgrade paths. This means that certification candidates need to be extra vigilant in preparing for them.