First commercially available OpenStack implementation completely packaged as Docker instancesRedwood Shores, Calif.—Oct 20, 2015
Based on the upstream Kilo release, Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2 provides support for new modules including Heat and Murano. The new release also uses MySQL Cluster to provide mission-critical Active/Active High Availability (HA), high performance and scalability for the core identity token and policy service (Keystone).
IT decision makers are transforming how they deliver applications and services to their users – whether in a public, private or hybrid cloud solution. Linux is a foundation for this transformation and OpenStack is quickly becoming a preferred option for deploying and managing cloud environments. Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2 provides the scalability and management to enable service providers to run public clouds and the interoperability to enable hybrid cloud models.
“Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux brings together Oracle’s expertise in implementing and supporting complex enterprise workloads with the flexibility of an OpenStack cloud environment. It addresses current OpenStack integration challenges by providing an integrated, single-vendor solution,” said Wim Coekaerts, senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering, Oracle. “Unlike many other vendors, Oracle can directly offer full support and address OpenStack and underlying operating system and hypervisor issues. This advantage is applicable in the OpenStack management pieces, as well as the underlying stack components.”Highlights of Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2:
- Simplified: Cloud deployments and upgrades are simplified with Docker integration, which allows OpenStack components to be packaged as Docker containers. Deployment is easy, just download and run the containers. On-going management, administration and upgrades simply require updating the Docker container; no need to re-install like other vendors’ solutions. This reduces risk and minimizes setup time.
- Integrated: As part of the Oracle Linux distribution, Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2 is tightly integrated into Oracle Linux, Oracle VM, Oracle Storage and MySQL. With new integrated high availability features (HA), customers can now deploy MySQL in an Active/Active configuration, bringing enterprise database performance and reliability to OpenStack cloud deployments. It includes built in support for Oracle storage. Cinder drivers for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances and Oracle All Flash FS Storage System are now offered as a technology preview with Oracle Linux, using the Ceph Object Gateway.
- Enterprise ready: Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2 is a complete ready–to-use system tested with the Oracle stack, components proven to work together. Security testing and on-going security updates are delivered at the same high standards as the rest of the Oracle stack. Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux takes advantage of the efficiency, performance, scalability, and security of Oracle Linux, which is used in Oracle Cloud, Oracle Private Cloud Appliance, and other Oracle engineered systems such as Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Database Appliance.
“With cloud initiatives and datacenter transformations being top priorities for enterprises, speed of delivery and simplicity are important themes we are hearing from customers,” said Al Sadowski, research director, 451 Research. “Because of OpenStack’s complexity, customers are increasingly turning to distribution providers for enterprise software expertise and support services, in order to accelerate workload migration to OpenStack environments.”
Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux is free to download and use. Customers receive comprehensive, single-vendor support of Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux as part of their paid Oracle Premier Support subscription, at no additional cost. This includes the back-end database, Oracle Linux, Oracle VM, Oracle Linux as a guest OS, and infrastructure support with Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Download Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux Release 2
- Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux
- Oracle Linux
- Oracle will host an Oracle Linux, Oracle VM and OpenStack Showcase at Oracle OpenWorld 2015, along with OpenStack sessions and hands-on labs with Oracle product experts. Register for Oracle OpenWorld 2015.
About OracleOracle offers a comprehensive and fully integrated stack of cloud applications and platform services. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
TrademarksOracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The following is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.